Saturday, October 8, 2011

The fourth kind movie review


Rating: 5/10

The fourth Kind follows the story of a psychiatrist, Abby Tyler who is trying to find a cause behind the extraordinary number of unexplained disappearances during the past 40 years in Nome, Alaska. The film claims the story is based on real events and uses real footage of Abby Tyler’s psychiatry sessions of her traumatized patients, including an interview with the real Dr. Tyler.

 I didn’t really care if the film was going to turn out great or not. I don’t really mind a B grade scary movie. What really intrigues me about this film is that it is supposedly based on a true story. It uses real footage to create realism and I thought it was a pretty smart idea. Going in to this movie, it was like as if I expected to see a documentary on real events.

10 minutes into this film, I was still intrigued by the story of the film. But then, after time passed, I realized that the story is fake and all bullshit. I felt a sense of betrayal by the filmmakers watching the film. So I thought, alright I will watch this film as a film. It lost the one thing that kept me interested the whole time, the fact that it is based on real events.

When I watched this film as a film, it just sucked. The story just got a whole lot sillier and more ridiculous. I don’t know what the filmmakers were thinking making this film. I find it hard to believe that they expected the audience to believe the story is true. This is a scary movie and it did not scare me at all. It even made me laugh at times due to the silliness of the script.

I was terrified a little when I thought the film was real and the people were real. I kept thinking that it was real people and that scared me a little. But when I realized it was fake, the story just sucks. The story didn’t scare me and it lost the reason I watched the film. So it’s kind of a lose-lose situation.

The acting in this film is not the problem. The problem is the filmmakers involved in making this film. They are dumb and stupid. It was not cool at all to use such a sad tragedy that really happened and make it a scary movie. It’s a real insult to the families of the real missing persons in Nome, Alaska. It’s also an insult to the audience. I felt like I was bitchslapped watching this movie.

I say, do not watch this film. It is not a good horror film and it is not based on real events. The real footage that was supposed to be real was not real. It just shows you how dumb the filmmakers think we, the audience, are. This film is a disgrace.

2 comments:

  1. I like your review ;) It's clear and touches points (I mean not like other reviews who go: "The film shows different aspects of alien sighting" etc, so it says nothing).
    But, once you pass beyond the real / not real thing, isn't there anything else? I'm astonished bobody discussed about the thing that the true idea of this movie seem to be that the Christian God, Jesus Himself, is a monster, an evil alien.
    What do you thonk about it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words veone. As for the God thing, I actually didn't put much thought into it. It was kinda a random thing that the writers threw at us. When i heard the line "I am God", I was like "Ok..., This has nothing to do with the movie". If the writers wanted to make that an actual storyline in the movie, they should have gone into more depth about it, not just throw us one line and expect us to be interested. That aspect of the film means absolutely nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete