Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Leaving Las Vegas movie review

Rating: 9/10

Nicholas Cage brought home an Oscar in 1995 for his performance in Leaving Las Vegas. Looking back at Cage’s career now in 2011, his movies are either a miss or a hit. Quite frankly, he has more misses than hits. Leaving Las Vegas is definitely one of the good ones.

Leaving Las Vegas follows the story of Ben Sanderson, an alcoholic who decides to move to Las Vegas and drink himself to death. There he meets and forms a friendship/relationship with a prostitute, Sera.

I loved this film, loved it more than I expected. I put this film on and expected a feel-good movie that will entertain me for a couple of hours. Boy was I wrong. This film is dark. It’s gritty. It’s depressing. There was even one scene where it was so gut wrenching I could barely watch. As the film progresses, it just got darker and darker, and more depressing as well.

It is a movie that I, as the credits start rolling, admire the story of the film itself, without having messages of the film thrown in my face. Often times when a film ends, I ask myself; so what? What’s the point of the film? I did not do that with this film.

I simply accepted the film for the story it wanted to tell; a story of two people who needed each other and fell in love with each other. The experience of watching this film is different than most films. It’s an experience where, at the end of the film, you miss the characters of Ben and Sera and the times they had together. You feel like you’ve known these characters for so long and now they’re not with you anymore.

The film comes together so well with the great direction and performances. Mike Figgis directed this film brilliantly. With the help of the music and great cinematography in this film, he brought the night life of Las Vegas to life so well that the setting of this film becomes another character.

Also, the way he showed the effects alcohol has on Ben was fantastic; the constant fade outs and ins that give you the feeling of dizziness. The editing was superb that it too made me dizzy.
The script of this film is outstanding. Nothing in the film would have worked without the script. In fact, there would not be a film without a script. Mike Figgis once again brilliantly adapted a novel by John O’Brien into this outstanding screenplay. Everything that happened in the film was brilliantly written and necessary to the story. Every character in the film was well written with great depth to them.

Nicholas Cage did a fantastic job in this film and clearly deserved his Oscar. It is, in my opinion, his best performance. He did such a fantastic portrayal as a drunk who loses everything he cares about in his life. He did a great job at making the audience feel for his character; how messed up he is and how isolated he is.

Elisabeth Shue was also great as Sera, a prostitute that formed an unusual friendship with Ben. Her chemistry with Nicholas Cage is fantastic. You buy their romance. You can feel their emotional and mental connection. This is due to the brilliantly written script and the beautifully acted performances. 

It was interesting to see these two characters form a friendship and transform that friendship into love. We then get to see the struggles that they go through and the consequences they have to face. It was definitely love that did not end when the film ended.

Leaving Las Vegas is a film about love, depression, and acceptance. Everything about this film is incredible. Everything blends in so well; the acting, directing, and writing. It’s a very powerful and emotional film for me. There were times when I just felt so happy for Ben and Sera and times where I just felt so sorry for them.

Leaving Las Vegas is a memorable film that will stick with me for a long time. It changed my perspective on film and changed me as a filmgoer. I definitely recommend anyone to check this film out. It will not disappoint you. Heck, even I want to watch the film again.

No comments:

Post a Comment