Saturday, October 8, 2011

Jeepers Creepers movie review

Rating: 5.5/10

Jeepers Creepers follows the story of a brother and sister who is on their way home to see their mum.  They encounter a mysterious person or creature in the isolated countryside. The story takes off from there.  It’s a mouse and cat game between them and the creeper. (I’m just gonna call him/it the creeper from now on)

I didn’t really expect anything great from this film. I knew it wasn’t going to be great just by seeing the DVD cover of the film. I was just looking for a way to waste my time and have fun with a movie for an hour and a half or so.

And Jeepers Creepers certainly did that for me. It wasn’t great. But it was a good time. I had fun with it. Although I didn’t really get scared, the film has some potential. The acting was pretty good. The film was not trying to be clichéd. The story was also pretty good.

20 minutes into this movie, it was great. We didn’t know what The Creeper was, he is all mysterious and scary. The truck he drives is definitely scary. The filmmakers did a great job at creating a sense of mystery.The point where the film just didn’t do it for me was when it showed the face of The Creeper. I’m sorry but The Creeper is not creepy. It’s a funny and weird looking thing.

This film tried not to be clichéd most of the time and the characters addressed the clichéd moments in the film for us. I appreciated that. I like it when a film tries not to be clichéd. The concept of the film is already clichéd so clichéd moments would totally ruin the movie for me. There were however some clichéd moments such as car wouldn’t start, The Creeper doesn’t die etc. But I wasn’t really bothered by them.

One thing I liked about this film was the main characters in the film. Justin Long and Gina Phillips did a great job portraying their characters. I found myself feeling for their characters and rooting for them the whole time. But sometimes they do really dumb and silly stuff that get them in deep trouble. You don’t root for something like that, you laugh.

This movie is a scary movie and it didn’t scare me at all. After they showed us The Creeper, I just lost all sense of being scared. Especially when the brother and sister kept running their car over it and it wouldn’t die. That’s the point where I stopped caring about the film. It didn’t make me think The Creeper is scary. It made me think that the writer made him look scary by not dying so they would have another 15 minutes in their film.

As the credits started rolling, I was like “Okay, this is where the movie ends.” I just felt like it was pointless. The point of a scary movie is to make people scared and when it doesn’t make you scared the movie just won’t do it for you. I however felt for the characters as the credits started rolling. I really cared for them. So I guess that’s well done on their part.

The fact still stands, this movie is not scary. The story was weak and story is really important in a scary movie. But it is a good way to kill a couple of hours. If you have nothing to do and bored to death, put Jeepers Creepers on and you will have fun with it. If not, don’t watch it. If you want to watch a scary movie, watch The Ring or something. Then, you will be truly scared. Jeepers Creepers is an average C grade scary movie that had some potential but failed at its main component.

No comments:

Post a Comment