Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fargo Movie review

Rating: 8/10

Fargo follows the story of Jerry Lundegaard who Jerry works in his father in law’s car dealership company and has gotten himself in financial problems. He hires two henchmen to kidnap his own wife with hopes of his father in law paying off the ransom. While a pregnant police officer, Marge Gunderson, tries to find out the person behind this bloodshed.

I enjoyed Fargo. It was well written, well acted and well directed. From the moment the film starts and the score kicks in, you just know you are in for a chilling and relaxed drama/thriller. The film moves slowly and carefully introduces us the characters and the storyline. As the film progresses, it becomes more intense and intense.

Everyone did great in the acting department especially Frances McDormand, who won an Oscar for her role as Marge Gunderson, and William H. Macy. Steve Buscemi also did a great job as the funny looking tempered henchman along with his quiet but brutal partner, Gaear, played by Peter Stormare. Everyone nailed their roles in this film. They nailed the mannerisms, facial expressions, and especially the accent. I don’t know if the accent is right in this film, but it certainly is interesting to hear and even funny at times.

As I said earlier, I enjoyed Fargo. I think it was a well made film. But there was really nothing special about it. Yes, everything was great; the script and direction by the Coen brothers and the acting. But nothing stood out. When the climax of the film kicked in, I was at the edge of my seat. I didn’t want the pregnant police officer to die. I was really curious how the film is going to play out.

But between that climax and the last scene, the film lost my interest somewhere somehow. It just gave me a MEH feeling as the credits start rolling. I was not disappointed at the film. I thought it was a well put together film. But it didn’t really have an impact on me. I don’t understand the point of this movie. Everything just seems DULL.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the screenplay by the Coen brothers is incredibly well written. They created one of the likable and memorable characters of all time including Marge Gunderseon and jerry Lundegaard.

Maybe this is the type of film that grows on you.  It might improve upon a second viewing. But as of now, the film is just MEH. I don’t understand why people like this film so much and regard it as a masterpiece. Yes it’s well acted, directed, and written. And that’s about it. Nothing special. I didn’t particularly love this movie and I still liked it. I enjoyed the story and the characters. I think it’s a well crafted film that I hope will grow on me upon a second viewing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment